It’s Day 2 of workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine. Tons of news has broken out about teams, team deals, and surprises at the combine.
Here’s what we learned at the NFL Combine through Day 2:
- John Elway said Eric Decker needs to test the open market. Possibility of a return for Decker is unlikely.
- Ron Rivera would not rule out Steve Smith not making the team this year. He was much more optimistic about bringing back DE Greg Hardy though.
- There were conflicting reports on the 49ers trading Jim Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns. Harbaugh’s contract has been an issue for a while, but a trade to the Browns seemed unlikely.
- The Patriots have been negotiating with Aqib Talib at the Combine, and it seems that there is mutual interest on getting a contract done.
- The 49ers and Anquan Boldin are reportedly close to an agreement. It doesn’t look like he’s going to hit the market.
- Eric Ebron killed it as expected. He ran a 4.60 in the 40-yard dash. The only faster TE was A.C. Leonard.
- Jace Amaro impressed by running a 4.62.
- Johnny Manziel ran an official 4.68. He also ran a 6.75 three-cone drill. His 40 time seems slow, but his strength is in his quickness, as shown in his beastly three-cone time.
- Teddy Bridgewater neither threw nor ran the 40 at the Combine.
- Blake Bortles ran a 4.93. Not spectacular, but his strength is in his arm.
- Tajh Boyd failed to impress with his 4.84 forty time. Draft stock just keeps falling.
- Sammy Watkins was extremely impressive. 4.43 forty time. 10’6″ broad jump. 34″ vertical jump. Draft Stock rising.
- Mike Evans ran a 4.53, had a 37″ vertical. He’s 6’4 3/4, with 35 1/8 inch arms. Huge catch radius.
- Kelvin Benjamin ran a 4.61. May seem a little underwhelming, but the biggest part of his game is his size, not his speed.
- Dri Archer ran an official 4.26 in the 40. Just 0.02 seconds short of CJ2K’s time. That is all.
Side note: Jadeveon Clowney only put up 21 reps in the bench press. Not that great, but fairly impressive for someone with long arms. Also, fun fact: Brady Quinn did 24 in 2007.